Dance The Scene 2023
Pick Your Song. Pick Your Scene. Pick Your Opponent. Battle It Out.
RM10,000 Cash Prize Pool
Dance the Scene is a one-of-a-kind dance competition where dancers are pitted against each other and battle it out based on the song and scene drawn.
Whether you are a ballerina or a hip hop dancer, ballroom or traditional dancer, all you have to do is shoot an audition video and submit the video link with your application. The Top 16 shortlisted entries will battle it out at YSDAF 2023 Festival Finale on 19 and 20 August 2023 at klpac.
Spontaneity is the name of the game so bring your A-game and be ready to impress!
Grand Prize: RM5,000
Runner Up: RM3,000
Second Runner Up: RM1,000
Audience Choice Award: RM1,000
- Open to Malaysian dancers 18 years old & above
- Solo, duo, trio (max 3 pax)
- Any genre
- Be prepared to improvise & dance on the spot based on song & scene drawn
Please ensure that you and your entire team are available to attend these key dates
including both days of the festival.
15 July 2023, 11:59PM:
Application & Audition Video Deadline
29 July 2023:
Top 16 Shortlist Announced
14 August 2023:
Top 16 Dancers’ Pre-Battle Briefing and Match Making at klpac
19 & 20 August 2023:
Top 16 Dance the Scene Live Battle at klpac
Application Process & Criteria
- Contestants to create an audition video (read video requirements below)
- Upload video on your social media channel of choice e.g. Tik Tok / IG / FB
- Fill up application form & submit the audition video link here: https://bit.ly/DTSform2023
Audition Video Requirements
- Audition video must be set to public / unlisted – check that link is working
- Audition video must contain the hashtag #YSDAF2023 and #dancethescene2023 (in social media post caption & on the actual video)
- Video length: 45 sec to 1 min. improvised / choreographed to impress the judges
- Video must be static, unedited (without filter, cut, special effects, no introduction or closing speech, visuals) except required text in Point 2
- You can add on background music
Terms & Conditions
- Though you can submit your application as a solo, duo or trio, there will be no sub-category during the actual competition.
- One person, one entry. You can only take part in one act / group. For example, if you are participating as a solo entry, you cannot participate in another duo or trio.
- The same contestant(s) listed in the application form and featured in the audition video must take part in the battle at the Festival Finale. No changes allowed to the contestant(s) or any one of the team members.
- Only those shortlisted will be notified.
- Staff of klpac, The Actors Studio, and Yayasan Sime Darby are not eligible.
- The organiser reserves the right to amend and change the competition rules as and when necessary as well as disqualify any of the contestants.
- Judges’ decision is final and no appeal will be entertained.
*Terms & conditions are subject to change without prior notice.
^ Dates subject to change.
Dance Battle Format
- Each battle is between two teams e.g. Team A and Team B.
- Both teams will take part in two rounds of dancing.
- Each team (solo / duo / trio) will be given 1 minute to dance per round.
- For a group of duo or trio, everyone in your team must dance together and not solo.
- How one round of battle works:
a) Team A draws a song. Once the song has been selected, the DJ will start playing it for the contestants to hear.
b) Team A moves on to draw a scene. Host will announce the scene. No change in song / scene drawn allowed.
c) Team B will dance for 1 minute based on the song / scene drawn.
d) After 1 minute is up, Team A will dance for 1 minute based on the same song / scene but the music and 1 minute countdown will be from the point where Team A finishes.
e) Team B then draws a song and scene but this time Team A dances first (repeat steps a – d).
f) After the second round finishes, judges will choose the winner.
Battle Rules & Regulations
- Performance should not involve any discrimination, defamation, and/or political propaganda.
- Contestants must be punctual and adhere to call time given.
- No violence and no excessive physical touch which can result in immediate disqualification.
- This event will last for approx. 90 minutes.
- If a contestant disrupts the event or other participants, the entire team will be disqualified.
- If an audience member disrupts the event or other participants, the organiser reserves the right to ask them to leave Pentas 2 immediately.
- Substance usage during performance such as liquid, flames, powder and smoke is prohibited.
- Props regardless of size are not allowed, unless you use it as part of your attire (e.g. cap, bracelet and ring as long as it is safe). Daggers, knives, sticks or other sharp objects are strictly forbidden.
- The organiser reserves the right to disqualify any participants, amend, and / or change the competition rules as and when necessary.
- Prize money will only be disbursed after the Festival Finale.